Having a pool in your backyard is an incredible luxury. But what takes a nice pool to a jaw-dropping show-stopper is excellent light scaping. So if you’re prepping for a high-impact pool renovation, your lighting is sure to give you the luxury factor you’re looking for!
Great lighting highlights your pool features and turns them into a breath-taking statement even when you’re inside. And it extends your pool party to after-dark!
But great pool lighting can be very different from landscape or interior lighting. That’s because pool lighting requires a lot of finesse, keeping glare to a minimum. So we’ve compiled seven tips to help you keep your pool area bright, luxurious, and inviting.
Let’s dive in!
Moonlighting– General Lighting Without Glare
There’s not much that’s better than a swim in the moonlight. Unfortunately, you can’t always count on a full moon and a cloudless sky, so a lighting technique called moonlighting is the next best thing.
Moonlighting uses an elevated light source that softly concentrates light downwards– basically, it mimics the moon! It creates soft, ambient lighting without a harsh glare on your eyes or reflecting too much light off the water. And there’s no denying that moonlighting will bring your pool from basic to luxury!
- When you can, tuck moonlighting fixtures away in trees or your roof to make it feel more like natural moonlight.
- Use warmer, more yellow light to keep the pool area a relaxing space. Bright white lights are more likely to create a harsh glare.
- The size of your pool deck will determine how many lights you’ll need to get the glow just right. If you’re unsure how many you need, it’s better not to guess. Too many, or too few, won’t create the illusion. Before you buy, contact a local lighting showroom to get expert advice on your yard’s unique dimensions and needs.
Light the Water
Another great way to gently increase visibility is to light up the water in your pool. A bright pool makes it easy to swim or chat on the deck without disrupting the mood. So put lighting the water on the top of your pool upgrade list!
- Always use underwater-grade lighting. Electrical safety is critical when you’re around water, so make sure you get the right bulbs.
- Proper placement matters. Keep the lights relatively close to the water’s surface, spaced at least 3-4 feet apart. It’s easy to overdo it with underwatering lighting, so remember – the fewer bulbs, the better.
- Lighting an existing pool? Unfortunately, installing underwater lights in an existing pool is pretty difficult. Your best bet is to contact a pool installation expert to see what it will take to get your pool equipped with underwater lighting.
Keep Stairs and Walkways Safe
Your pool renovation has to keep the surrounding area in mind. Whether entertaining or playing with your family, safety is always a top concern. So always keep walkways, steps, and pool borders clearly defined and visible. The good news is, you don’t have to sacrifice style to be safe!
- Tuck lights under the stairs to hide the light source and reduce glare. You can also light your stairs from the side with stylish fixtures that create visual interest while lighting the way.
- Use reflective materials around the sides of your pool to highlight the edges so they’ll catch the light without having to shine light upwards.
- Solar lamps are an excellent option for lighting walkways. They’re very low-maintenance and come in an almost endless variety of styles.
Highlight Water Features
A waterfall or fountain brings a home pool from a fun time to a luxurious experience. But the magic shouldn’t stop after sundown! Lighting your water feature will upgrade it to an around-the-clock art experience.
- Color-changing LEDs help to match the mood and keep your water feature flexible. Check the packaging to ensure they’re safe for outdoor use and have color-changing capabilities.
- Tuck light sources behind or underneath the stream to light the way. You’ll need water-grade lighting for a safe light show.
- Highlight the fountain or waterfall architecture to complete the experience. While these lights may not be underwater, you’ll still want to make sure they can handle the strain of the elements in your climate.
Make Landscaping Pop
Your home landscaping plays a vital role in every swim, day or night! So play up your trees, shrubs, and flowers in your pool renovation with a few of these lighting tips.
- Silhouetting uses a ground light source behind a row of shrubbery to create a shadowy effect on a wall behind them.
- Highlighting also uses a ground light source but shines in front of trees or other plants to make them look like they’re glowing.
- Hang fairy or string lights around or between trees for a soft, enchanting touch. Plus, these are easy to hang yourself and take down for the off-season.
Bring in Island Vibes
Want to bring a piece of island living to your backyard? A few careful lighting tricks can land your home beach bash in a true paradise. And it may be easier than you think to pull off this luxury pool vibe!
- Nothing says exotic like firey displays. So use tiki torches or a feature firepit to heat up the party!
- Color-changing LED accent lighting transports your party anytime! Bring in island blues, pinks, and greens with a touch of a button.
- Use highlighting techniques to bring your tropical trees and flowers into the experience.
Brighten Surrounding Architecture
Your pool may be the center of your backyard entertainment– but the surrounding architecture of your home, gazebo, or pool house is the backdrop. Don’t let your unique architecture go to waste when the lights go out. So pull the rest of your home into the pool experience with your pool upgrade!
- Highlight arches and beams to show off beautiful architecture around the clock. You can install small spotlights, use recessed lighting, or play with string lights for a custom look.
- Downlighting or Uplighting? You can position accent lights to shine down walls or use ground lighting to literally light up your home exterior.
- Brighten doorways. Direct guests and family members to the right places with beautiful sconces or spotlights.
Proper lighting is essential to a fully functioning home– but it can be challenging to nail balanced brightness, great fixtures, and a budget! Contact the experts at Armstrong's Lighting for advice on your project!
Keywords: pool renovation, upgrade your pool, luxury pool